Track conversions and page visits with UTM parameters
updated 25 days ago
To understand how effective your marketing campaigns are, it's important to get a sense of how people are landing on your website. One of the simplest ways to do that is through UTM parameters.
In the Contacts view of Gist, you can use the filtering by UTM related properties to create segments. This way, you can target leads who you know were receptive to certain types of campaigns with similar content in the future.
What are UTM parameters?
UTM parameters are a convenient way to tag links to various pages on your site. When clicked, they let you track where incoming traffic is coming from and understand what aspects of your marketing campaigns are driving traffic.
UTM parameters contain three essential components:
- utm_campaign: track the campaign name associated with the traffic
- utm_medium: track the advertising medium, including email and banner ads
- utm_source: track the source where traffic is coming from, including a website or advertiser
With these being optional:
- utm_content: track the specific link within in an ad that a user clicked
- utm_term: track keywords associated with campaigns
Learn more about UTM Parameters here.
List of UTM contact properties
These are the properties available to your within the Gist segment builder:
- First UTM Source
- First UTM Campaign
- First UTM Medium
- First UTM Content
- First UTM Term
- Last UTM Source
- Last UTM Campaign
- Last UTM Medium
- Last UTM Content
- Last UTM Term
Note: Gist stores your leads' first and most recent UTM data. If your lead engages with more than one advertising campaign, Gist will store their first touch-point data and also update their most recent campaign data.
What can you do with these properties?
- See where your most engaged users are signing up to your product from.
- Increase signups from your advertising campaigns.
- Send targeted auto messages to users who sign up from specific sources (e.g. Google ads).
- Measure the ROI of your advertising campaigns by comparing a campaign's generated revenue with its cost.
- Automatically send your leads' source to Salesforce using Zapier integration.
If you have any further questions, please start a Live Chat. Just "Click" on the Chat Icon in the lower right corner to talk with our support team.